Cranberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 ounces vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Set butter out to soften to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in the egg, flour, protein powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the applesauce and combine. Fold in the oats and cranberries.
- Scoop 1/4 cup scoops of the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cookies are golden brown but still soft.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool.
- Store cookies in an air tight container or wrap individually and freeze until ready to grab for a quick breakfast on the go.
- Scoop sizes vary for different protein powder brands. Check the label to see weight of one scoop to determine how much to add or use a scale to measure 1.5 ounces.
- Enjoy breakfast cookies as a snack. Consider making 24 smaller cookies instead of 12.
Submitted by: Robin, dietitian from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 31 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
Sodium 70 mg
Potassium 124 mg
Phosphorus 99 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 2.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1 high-calorie
- 1 fat