Lemon Berry Bread
1 slice (1/12 of a loaf)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mix oil, granulated sugar, milk, lemon extract and egg whites.
- Add flour mixture to oil and sugar mixture. Stir just until blended; do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries and lemon peel.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick once inserted comes out clean.
- Prepare glaze while bread is baking. In a small saucepan, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- After removing bread from the oven, immediately poke holes at 1-inch intervals into the top and pour lemon glaze over bread.
- For people with diabetes, we recommend reducing carbohydrates to 17 grams by substituting low-calorie sweetener for sugar and omitting the lemon-sugar glaze.
Submitted by: Mindy, dietitian from Indiana
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 1 mg
Sodium 54 mg
Potassium 66 mg
Phosphorus 68 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 0.8 g