Lemon Pepper Hummus
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas (2 cans)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a food processor or blender.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add remaining olive oil, juice from the lemon, lemon pepper seasoning and garlic powder to the chickpeas.
- Process or blend until smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water to thin if needed.
- Place in a bowl and top with reserved tablespoon of olive oil.
- Compare brands and select chickpeas with the least amount of sodium.
- Serve hummus with a cut pita, low-salt pita chips or raw vegetables.
- If using a lemon, use a small sieve to catch the seeds when pouring into other ingredients.
Submitted by: Jackie, dietitian from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 98 mg
Potassium 60 mg
Phosphorus 38 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 2.9 g
Added Sugar 0 g